SPOILER ALERT!

The NIght Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

Let me preface this by saying I am not a fan of the circus. I would never go to a circus of my own volition. The only exception would be this circus. Erin Morgenstern crafts a mesmerizing and intriguing circus. I would actually want to visit it. I did think that Popet and Widgets characters were very well developed, but that is where the good news ends.

The main characters are bleh. When they were younger you really got a sense of them but as the "competition" goes on they are very flat. Marco and Celia don't have much interaction and then all of a sudden they can't live without each other. The game is not very defined. The end doesn't wrap up the rules of this world very well. You are left with more questions than answers and not in a good way. I just didn't care about a lot of the characters so I didn't really care what happened in the book. I struggled to get through this book. It's such a shame because it started off really strong and I was so excited. I really wanted to like this book, but I just didn't. See some of my more major issues and why I rated this 2 stars are below. Beware they will spoil you and you might find a few choice words.

1, There is no real competition because the players don't really compete. They insta love instead.

2. A.H and Prospero pit two people against each other TO THE DEATH because they are debating which way is better to teach magic. They have done this for years. Celia is 6 when she is bound to the game btw.

3. Chandresh (the proprietor of the circus and drunk) randomly throws a knife trying to hurt A. H for no apparent reason other than Prospero's "minor suggestion" (and the reason behind the influence is just shits and giggles. No really it was just because Prospero was bored). Instead of hurting A. H. he kills a beloved character. This really nice old man who made the circus clock and is the head of the circus fan club is murdered. At the end Chandresh  gets his memory wiped, a clean slate where his new project all fits into place, and a kitten for his trouble. I shit you not.

4. Prospero cuts open his daughters fingers with a knife one by one as a child so she would learn to heal herself.

5. There are no consequences for bad actions whatsoever. Characters can be a vile as they want and that's okay.

(show spoiler)