The Store by James Patterson and Richards DiLallo

The Store - James Patterson

THE STORE IS WATCHING YOU.

Jacob and Megan Brandeis have gotten jobs with the mega-successful, ultra-secretive Store. Seems perfect. Seems safe. But their lives are about to become anything but perfect, anything but safe.

ALWAYS WATCHING.

Especially since Jacob and Megan have a dark secret of their own. They're writing a book that will expose the Store--a forbidden book, a dangerous book.

ALWAYS.

And if the Store finds out, there's only one thing Jacob, Megan and their kids can do--run for their bloody lives. Which is probably impossible, because--

THE STORE IS ALWAYS WATCHING

The Store is an engrossing thriller that will leave you paranoid. I love how it's written with short chapters only a few pages long. You really feel accomplished reading this. The book is very fast paced and hard to put down. I really enjoyed reading this. It seemed like a cross between The Stepford Wives and 1984.

Intensely thought provoking, this book could be called Amazon Gone Wild. What is sad is that it is not such a giant leap to see this book turn into non-fiction. I don't see Amazon as this evil store who is trying to take away my freedom, but I do find Amazon very controlling and devious. Their Kindle for example comes with ads (unless you pay to remove it) and those ads are based off of what you buy. Everythibg you buy, everything you browse is tracked and stored. Amazon spins profiling you as they are doing you a favor. How else could you possibly find more books to read or more things you NEED? Without Alexa's guidance how can you possibly survive?!  I don't believe Amazon is profiling and storing information on its customers to use it for anything other than getting rich, but that is not to say they or anyone else can't. This book made me evaluate my life and my online shopping. Privacy is a thing of the past. We sacrified it on the alter of technology. I don't believe technology is inhertly evil. As we stare in awe with children's eyes in the candy store I can't help but hear Jeff Goldblum's warning echo in my mind. We are so preoccupied with whether or not we could we didn't stop to think if we should.